For some procedures patients are sent an enema package (with instructions) prior to coming into hospital - please use the enema approximately 1 hour before leaving home for the test. The enema will have worked within that first hour, so you will not have any problems travelling to the hospital.
- Do not eat for at least 30 minutes before using the enema
- Do not eat after using the enema until after you have had the test
- You may drink any soft drinks, tea or coffee
- You should use the enema even if you have recently passed a motion
- Unscrew lid of bottle
- Connect enclosed tube to bottle
- Smear the lubricating jelly on the nozzle (first inch)
- Lie on your left side on a towel
- Gently insert nozzle (about 3 inches) into your bottom
- Squeeze the contents in, remove the nozzle and continue lying down
- Try to hold the liquid for at least 5 mins - the longer the better
- Go to the toilet but do not worry if you do not pass a motion
- Some people may experience mild stomach cramps for a short while
- Some people feel faint or dizzy please lie down until you feel better
Most people find it comfortable to use the enema at home. If you feel you cannot do it yourself please contact the unit and we will arrange for you to have it done in hospital on arrival.