Medicines Information (M.I.)
- The Medicines Information Pharmacists can be contacted via the Pharmacy Helpline- 01603 286286 between the hours of 09:00 and 17.00, Monday to Friday.
- All patients should receive a card with their discharge medication, informing them that they can contact the Pharmacy Helpline if they have any queries about their medicines, once they have left hospital.
- We also answer enquiries from GP's, Community Nurses, Midwives, Community Pharmacists.
- In an average month we answer over 280 enquiries e.g:
- "Can I drink alcohol with my medicines?"
- "Which antidepressant is safe for a breastfeeding mum?"
- "What are the risks of inadvertent ciprofloxacin exposure in pregnancy?"
- "What is the UK equivalent of this Spanish antihypertensive?"
- "How long will it take for tamoxifen to be totally cleared from the body?"
- "What is the comparative side effect profile of the SSRI antidepressants?"
Clinipharms - these are intended to provide information to medical and nursing staff on topics which frequently generate enquiries and general advice on the use and monitoring of medicines.
Pharmacy Alerts - these tend to be produced in response to major changes in, or withdrawal of a products licence, as a result of a Drug Alert but are also produced to inform of major changes to the Trust Formulary or serious supply problems.