History of our hospitals (Our hospitals' history)
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital
The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH) opened in Colney during November 2001 and construction work started on the hospital in January 1998.
NNUH replaced two previous city-centre based hospitals; the former West Norwich Hospital, Bowthorpe Road (now the Norwich Community Hospital - run by the Norfolk Community Health and Care NHS Trust) and the old Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
The move to a hospital at Colney was first proposed in the 1960s when there were hopes the newly-founded University of East Anglia might get a medical school. Those hopes did not come fruition at that time.
- In 1967 the then East Anglian Regional Hospital Board proposed a new district general hospital for Norwich, located next to the University of East Anglia. However, Cambridge University was granted permission to establish a medical school and the Norwich case for a medical school ended.
- In 1985 the former Norwich Health Authority shortlisted three sites for a new district general hospital for Norwich; the Hellesdon hospital site, a greenfield site at Sprowston, and the St Andrew's hospital site in Thorpe St Andrew.
- In April 1986 the Hellesdon site was chosen, with the backing of the then East Anglian Regional Health Authority, for an 800 bed hospital costing £46 million.
- In October 1986 a group of Norfolk and Norwich Hospital consultants objected to the Hellesdon site and proposed a site at Colney.
- The hospital consultants strongly favoured a site at Colney in order to forge links with the UEA and strengthen medical education in Norwich.
- The consultants' proposal was rejected by the Norwich HA but was called in to be considered by the Government.
- In early 1987 the Hellesdon site was dropped after the regional health authority backed a Colney Lane site.
- By 1988 there was a non-statutory public inquiry into the siting of and access to a proposed new hospital at Colney. The led to the identification of a Colney Lane site with access from Colney Lane and the Watton Road.
- In 1990 the former NHS Executive bought a 63-acre site at Colney for Norwich's new hospital.
- By 1992 the former Norwich Health Authority undertook public consultation and there was widespread support for the Colney proposal.
- However in 1993 the business case for a new hospital prepared by Norwich Health Authority was rejected.
- On 8 February 1994, the Norfolk and Norwich Health Care NHS Trust was established and work began on a new Private Finance Initiative (PFI) business case
- In January 1995 the outline business case was approved and work started on a full business case, which was submitted in January 1996.
- In March 1996 the East Norfolk Health Commission approved the full business case for a 701-bed hospital.
- In April 1996 the NHS Executive and HM Treasury also confirmed approval for the business case and there was a submission for 108 more beds
- In June 1996 South Norfolk District Council granted full planning permission
- In September 1996 approval of an additional 108 beds was granted, taking the bed total to 809 and a cost of £214 million. Planning permission was amended.
- On November 25 1996 the contract between Octagon Healthcare, the PFI consortium, and the Trust, was signed.
- In January 1998 the then Prime Minister Tony Blair announced the new hospital would be built. Work started immediately.
- A hospital foundation plaque was unveiled by the then Secretary of Health, Frank Dobson, in September 1998.
- In July 2000 approval was given to build another 144 beds in a second phase, taking the bed total to 953 beds and a value of £229 million.
- On 16 June 2000 the Health Secretary announced UEA, Norwich, would have a new medical school and the new hospital would be a university teaching hospital
- As a result on 18 January 2001, the Trust was established as the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital NHS Trust.
- On 21 September 2001, the hospital was handed over to the Trust - four months ahead of schedule and on budget
- In November 2001 the first and biggest phase of the hospital moves came with the move of most services from the West Norwich and N&N to the new hospital.
- Around 80 per cent of services moved over a six-week period from the West Norwich and the N&N.
- In January 2003 the last few departments moved from the West Norwich and N&N to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
- A year later on February 5th 2004, The Queen performed the official opening of the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
- On 1 May 2008, the independent regulator Monitor, authorised the trust as the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
- In September 2010 a charitable appeal was launched to buy four more intensive care or high-dependency incubators for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. A year later, the appeal was successful and the associated building work took place.
- The Midwifery-led Birthing Unit was opened in August 2011 providing a total of three birthing pools at a cost of £400,000.
- In January 2012, a new Clinical Imaging and Research Centre was opened. It contains a state-of-the-art MRI scanner which will be used for patient diagnostics and joint research with the University of East Anglia.
Cromer and District Hospital
- In December 1928 it was decided that Cromer needed a new hospital and a fundraising target of £20,000 was set.
- Frank Barclay gave the Mill Road site for the hospital in 1929
- Cromer and District Hospital was formally opened by Lady Suffield in July 20 1932 after a remarkable fundraising effort from the local community.
- In 1948 the hospital became part of the National Health Service
- In 1994 the hospital became part of this trust, which was then named the Norfolk and Norwich Health Care NHS Trust
- In 2001 the Trust received a legacy from Cromer resident Mrs Sagle Bernstein who left £11.4 million to Cromer and District Hospital
- In 2004 the Trust received a legacy from Bacton resident Phyllis Cox who left £1.3 million to the hospital in Cromer
- In December 2006 a plan went out to public consultation for the building of a new hospital on the MIll Road site using the Bernstein legacy
- In October 2007, the contractor was announced (Balfour Beatty subsidiary Mansell) for the new £12 million hospital on the current site
- In July 2008 the Board of the Trust allocated an additional £12 million of the Trust's funds to the project, taking the budget to £24 million.
- In June 2009 the Board of the Trust revised the budget down to £15 million - due to the state of the global economy and the effect on public finances
- In January 2010 the Norfolk Health Overview Scrutiny Committee unainmously approved the service model proposed by the trust for the new hospital
- In May 2010 North Norfolk District Council granted planning permission and construction work started in autumn 2010 and will complete in autumn 2012.
- Building work started in autumn 2010 with the creation of a new renal dialysis unit.
- Work on the new hospital started in January 2011 and the new building opened in March 2012 with the car park and landscaping finishing in July 2012.