Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is a specialist regional intensive care unit. The hospital's neonatal intensive care unit is one of two centres providing specialist level three neonatal, medical and surgical intensive care across Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.
Babies may be in intensive care, high dependency or the special care areas of the unit. Our unit receives babies from across the region and further afield and our NICU staff care for more than 850 babies a year.
NICU Appeal - Thank you
It's been just over a year since we launched the appeal, and we are pleased to say that we have now reached the £250,000 equipment target.
We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who got behind this appeal. As a result four new incubators are now in place in the neonatal intensive care unit which means the unit can care for 42 babies at any one time.
Although this appeal has closed, you can still support the NICU unit in its development. Donations can be made online here or you can send a cheque payable to the NNUH NHS Foundation Trust Charitable Fund, with NICU written on the back of the cheque and send it to Fundraising, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY.
A parents/visitors' sitting room is available for your use where tea and coffee making facilities are available and we also have five bedrooms attached to the unit for parents. Please be aware that priority for those rooms is given to parents whose babies are critically ill.
We do encourage you to stay with your baby prior to going home. Unfortunately if you are staying in the unit we are not able to accommodate brothers or sisters to stay the night.
We do offer parents a discount in the hospital restaurant for those staying in the parents' rooms. Please ask staff on the unit for a dining pass.
We can also offer parents discounted parking. Please ask at the NICU reception for a car park pass.
- When you come into the unit please use the cloakroom for your coats.
- Please wash your hands prior to handling your baby.
- Please do not leave any valuables unattended on the unit.
- Lockers are available in the cloakroom and keys can be provided, or you can bring your own padlock.
- Please use a cot to move your baby around the unit rather than carrying baby.
- Please keep hot drinks away from your baby.
- Switch off all mobile phones as they may interfere with equipment.
There is a group on Facebook created by people who have had babies on the NNUH NICU and a Norfolk BLISS group. You can view the facebook groups via the links below:
|Monday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Tuesday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Wednesday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Thursday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Friday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Saturday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
|Sunday||08:00 - 12:30 14:00 - 19:30|
Visiting Details:Parents are welcome to visit at any time, however we do have restrictions for other visitors and allow only a maximum of 2 people at the cot side at any one time (including parents).
Siblings are welcome to visit between 3 and 5.30 pm only.
Quiet times to facilitate rest for babies are observed between 1230 1400 and 2000-2200.
How to Find UsThe ward is located on Level 3 in the West Block
Please use the West Out-patients entrance/s and follow the signs to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
If you are coming by car and need to park, the closest carpark/s are C, D
Contact DetailsMain Telephone Number: 01603 286866
- We ask that other visitors only come with the parents or with permission of the parents. We do ask that children under 14 do not visit.
- Babies' brothers and sisters are welcome and can use our playroom but please don't leave them unattended and please clear away the toys afterwards.
- To get into the unit, please ring the doorbell and be patient if staff are busy. Never let anyone you do not know into NICU.
- A Polaroid picture of your baby is provided. You are welcome to take photographs and videos of your baby but please do not photograph or video other babies on the Unit.
- Helium balloons and flowers are not allowed on the unit.