Am I eligible to volunteer
What sort of people volunteer?
We welcome from all backgrounds:
- Those looking for a career change
- Those returning to the workplace after a break
- People recovering from illness
- Students wishing to support their studies
- People unable to work due to disability
Am I eligible?
To volunteer with us you must:
- Be over the age of 16 ( over 17 ½ for patient contact)
- Have the right to work in the UK
- Be willing to volunteer on a regular basis (minimum 4 hours per week)
- Be available for 26 consecutive weeks
- Be flexible about your placement and willing to help where the need is greatest
Volunteering should be a two way process. It should be mutually beneficial to both the organisation and to the volunteer.
Each person’s motivation to volunteer is different and we understand that you may be considering a career in health care or simply wanting to give something back to your hospital following a personal or family experience. Whatever your motivation, please make sure that you state it clearly on your application form and be prepared to tell us about it at interview.
Students must understand that volunteering is not work experience, although it can undoubtedly enhance your CV and enable you to receive recognition for your contribution.
A list of typical volunteer roles is available on “The volunteer role” tab on this page. Please check this carefully so that you can decide if our opportunities meet your requirements before you apply.