Cromer expansion plans
As announced at our AGM in September Cromer & District Hospital is due to be expanded as part of the future plans by the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust which runs the hospital.
NNUH has agreed to redevelop one of the original buildings on the Cromer & District Hospital site and bring it up to modern standards. It is planned to open in early 2019 with an overall cost for refurbishment of £1.8m, which is inclusive of design, construction and equipment.
The new medical and cancer unit will have 6 treatment chairs, enabling an additional 2,000 chemotherapy treatments each year. There will also be space for three new clinic rooms and two new minor procedure rooms, creating an additional 10,000 outpatient appointments annually. The new unit will also free up space in the main Cromer Hospital building to deliver an extra 600 surgical procedures in dermatology, urology, vascular surgery and pain management.
New Medical and Cancer Unit
The new day unit will comprise six bays, nurse bay, drug prep, store and toilets. This new facility provides a significant increase in capacity that will be used to meet our need for chemotherapy, as well as enable the existing haematology, rheumatology and urology procedures to be moved from the Muriel Thoms Procedure Unit.
Haematology – Blood Transfusion, Venesection and Iron Infusions
Rheumatology – Rheumatology & Nephrology Infusions
Oncology – Chemotherapy (including PICC Line Care)
Urology – BCG & Trials without catheter (TWOC)
The unit will initially operate on Monday to Friday between 8.30am to 5.30pm for fifty weeks of the years. There is scope to flex the hours and days of operation to respond to lows and peaks in demand.
The unit will be predominantly nurse-led with medical cover from the oncology and haematology directorates. Current rheumatology and nephrology activity will transfer to the refurbished day unit.
The new outpatient area will comprise three consultation / examination rooms and two minor
procedure / examination rooms of which one is suitably sized for bariatric patients. It will initially operate on Monday to Friday between 8.30am to 5.30pm.
Additional Services will be delivered from within this area as well as the current hospital. The services to be provide are:
- Oncology and Clinical Nurse Specialist Clinics
- Increased Urology One Stop, Dermatology, Ear Nose and Throat, General Surgery, and Orthopaedic Clinics
- New Urodynamics clinic to commence at Cromer & District Hospital
- Increased Pre Assessment Clinics for the NNUH Day Procedure Unit
- Jenny Lind Outpatients @ Cromer Hospital – dedicated day for paediatric services one day per week
- Paediatric friendly environment – suitable toys and literature.
- Weekly Antenatal Clinic to be established at Cromer
- Specialised Vulnerable Women Clinic run in accessible location
- General Antenatal Clinic
- Base for Community Midwifery Team – post-natal checks and clinic
Muriel Thoms Procedure Unit
The existing Muriel Thoms Procedure Unit on the first floor of the main building comprises a local
anaesthetic operating theatre and two 3 bay recovery areas. The space vacated by the day admissions
moving to the day unit in refurbished Davison Unit will enable:
- Increased throughput of Pain Management list through innovative working
- Increased Dermatology Theatre Sessions
- Increased list throughput for Vascular, Dermatology, Gynaecology and Urology Botox lists
- Relocation of Dermatology Dressings to Unit, releasing space in the Dermatology Minor Ops room for increased procedural work.