The Patient Services Department is situated in the East Block, Level 2, near Kimberley Ward.
The following areas are part of Patient Services:
Opening Hours: 09:30 to 16:30 Monday to Friday
Telephone: 01603 287162
The Cash Office looks after patients in the following way:
- Payment of patient related invoices raised by the hospital
- Has a secure facility for valuable property on behalf of inpatients
- Takes details of lost property on behalf of the Lost Property Officer
- Reimbursement of patient travel costs for qualifying patients (see below)
Office Hours: 09:30 to 16:30 Monday to Friday
Telephone: 01603 289769 or alternatively 01603 287162
Some patients are entitled to Help with Health Costs. Staff at the Patient Fares window can help you to find out if you qualify. Information leaflets are available from the patient fares counter at the cash office.
Patients are able to claim help towards travel expenses to the hospital if they are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Pension Credit – guarantee credit
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance – Income based
- NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate
- HC2 or HC3 Certificate for help with health costs
- Employment and Support Allowance – Income Related
Important information about claiming:
- Current proof of benefit together with your hospital letter or appointment card must be produced. The Trust regrets that staff are unable to telephone hospital departments or Benefit Agencies to confirm either appointments or benefit details.
- Each claim will be reimbursed for public transport (on production of tickets) or an approved mileage payment from the patient’s home address
- A voucher for free car parking can be given on the day of the appointment, provided a valid car parking ticket is shown.
- If your appointment is outside office hours, you have the option to claim on your next appointment (if it is within a 3 month period), or alternatively, you can take an (HC5(T)) postal claim forms available from the patient fares counter and forward to the appropriate benefits office as indicated on the form. Please include your bus/train tickets with your claim form if you travel by public transport, in order to receive the full refund.
The Patient Fares Office is not authorised to pay:
- Taxi fares
- If your Pension Credit letter does not state you are receiving guarantee credit
- If your benefit details are dated more than 12 months before the day of the appointment
- Mileage for patients who have traveled by hospital transport.
- Reimbursement of an escort’s public transport costs unless a medical need is proved by an appropriate letter of authorisation (e.g. from GP or Consultant)
- Hospital visits to inpatients unless under exceptional circumstances.
Office Hours: 08:30 to 16:30 Monday to Friday
Telephone: 01603 287468
If you are making an enquiry for lost property following an outpatient appointment, or on behalf of someone who is currently an inpatient on a ward in the hospital, please contact the staff on the unit, who will make the initial searches to locate the missing effects.
For all other lost property enquiries Patient Services has a Lost Property Officer, who will take a description of your missing property and check the details against items which are handed in from the general public and staff. He/she will make enquiries to locate the property on your behalf.
Office Hours: 09:30 to 16:00 Monday to Friday
Telephone: 01603 287165 or 287166 or alternatively 01603 289440
If a loved one dies in our hospital, our team in the Bereavement Office are here to help. They will oversee the processing of the relevant documentation and liaise with the wards, medical staff, mortuary team, as well as the Funeral Directors and Coroner’s Office (when this is appropriate). If you are at the hospital when someone close to you dies, you will be given a Bereavement Booklet which has practical information and useful telephone numbers to guide you through the process.
If you would like assistance or advice on any other aspect of care within the hospital then please visit the Patient Advice and Liaison Service page for further information.