Research Passports

What is a Research Passport?

A Research Passport is the mechanism by which non-NHS staff, that have no contractual relationship with the NHS, obtain an Honorary Research Contract or Letter of Access when they propose to carry out Research at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.  Essentially it is a common system of pre-engagement checks which conforms to the standards of all NHS organisations and is therefore transferable to any other NHS Trust where a Researcher wishes to carry out research; this avoids the need for each Trust to carry out separate pre-engagement checks.

How to get a Research Passport and associated Honorary Research Contract or Letter of Access as a Researcher with the NNUH…

  • Visit the National Institute for Health Researchwebsite for full details of the Research Passport System, for a research passport form and guidance notes on how to complete it.
  • Complete Sections 1, 2, 3 and 6 of the Research Passport Form and then sign the form.
  • Ask your line manager to complete Section 4, or if you are an HEI student, your academic supervisor.
  • Next send the form to your substantive employer. The University Registry for Staff or the PGR office for a student Researcher, for completion of Section 5.
  • Once all Sections are complete, forward your form including the documents listed below to the Research Governance Administrator via (, or for any queries contact the R&D Office on 01603 289808 ask for the Research Governance Administrator.
  1. Up-to date signed CV. Template available here.
  2. Occupational Health Screening Certificate (depending on research activities).
  3. Original DBS Check (this will be returned to you).
  4. Evidence of NIHR GCP training dated within the last 2 years (e-learning can be accessed here).
  5. Evidence of NHS Data Security Awareness training (Link can be provided by contacting