NNUH Skills Academy
We are delighted to announce the establishment of the NNUH Skills Academy!
From September 2019, all Work Experience opportunities, Access to Work Programmes, and Apprenticeships will sit under the NNUH Skills Academy umbrella!
What is the NNUH Skills Academy?
Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the largest employers in Norfolk with a team of 8,000+ staff working together to provide care for our local population.
As a large employer we are committed to working with our local community by offering a wide variety of opportunities through our work experience programmes, Access to Work programmes, and Apprenticeships. The variety of work experience programmes are offered to wide range of different age groups.
Our aim is to help develop skills, confidence, awareness and an understanding of the world of work, along with the education of the 350+ different NHS careers which are available.
The NNUH Skills Academy allows us to formalise all our programmes under one umbrella so that it is easy to find what works best for those applying, and will guide on the application process.
What is included in the NNUH Skills Academy?
- Apprenticeships – We have been running the Apprenticeship Programme at the NNUH since 2010 with the aim of growing our own workforce. For more information about the programme, please see our NNUH page and our Team NNUH page. To see our current vacancies, please click here.
- The Nursing Work Experience Programme – Will run 1 day per month from October 2019 through to May 2020. It will give 6th Form students a wide variety of placements in clinical settings which will support their studies, and nursing aspirations. For those who undertake the programme we will guarantee them an interview for Apprentice HCA post on completion, and will support them in their career choices for Registered Nursing. Details on this can be found on our Work Experience page.
- Sixth Form Work Experience – 2 study days per year for 100 Sixth Form students a time. This is aimed at students who don’t necessarily want medicine or nursing, but something scientific. The Study Days are interactive and diverse showing a variety of different careers.
- Science Summer Schools – Students will attend for a week rotational programme in the summer holidays and will experience working across Histopathology/Cytology/Pathology
- Year 10 Work Experience – As part of the yearly work experience undertaken by schools across the county, the NNUH looks for offer 2 or 3 4-day programmes for Year 10 students. Details on this can be found on our Work Experience page.
- Ad-Hoc Work Experience – Please see our Work Experience page
- Prince’s Trust ‘Get Into Hospitals Programme’ – For more information about the programme, please click here.
- Sector Based Work Academy delivered in partnership with Department of Work and Pensions and other NHS Trusts and Social Care employers.
- Regular Career Workshops held on Saturday mornings throughout the year – the timings of these support the academic year in respect of subject choices. Details of these workshops are advertised on our website and our social media pages (Twitter/Facebook).
- Step into Health Programme – Open to all Military service leavers, veterans, and their families, the NNUH is working with the Armed Forces community to provide career and development opportunities within the NHS. Information about the programme can be found here.
- T-Levels – T-Levels are the replacement for the current BTEC qualifications. These Level 3 programmes, which are the equivalent of 3 A-Levels (and equivalent UCAS points), will last for 2 years and will be delivered by City College Norwich.
Who do I contact for more information about the NNUH Skills Academy?
If you want to find out more about the opportunities stated above for the NNUH Skills Academy, please contact NNUHApprenticeships@nnuh.nhs.uk quoting the programme you are inquiring about in the email subject title.
Also, please include a short paragraph with your query (e.g. what it involves, when does it run, why you want to do this) – this will help us to assist you with your query.
Please allow 2-3 working days for a response.