Meet the Team
The Nurse Endoscopy team
The Gastro team is made up of 13 Nurse Endoscopists performing diagnostic endoscopy, Bowel Cancer Screening, Capsule Endoscopy, and two week wait Rectal Bleed clinics.
Currently we undertake approximately 50% of the diagnostic lists at the Quadram Institute. and cover Bowelscope Screening Lists at the JPUH and the QEH.
We have two nurse endoscopists whose key roles are as Specialist Screening Practitioners in the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme but who also support the Bowelscope Programme.
Nearly every diagnostic list performed by the four senior nurse endoscopists is a training list, with Registrars/Nurses in training allocated lists, they have all undertaken Train the Trainer in Endoscopy teaching.
Sarah El-Salamani is an Associate on the Health Education England non clinical endoscopist Training Programme and also teaching faculty at St Thomas’s hospital.
Jane Cook is a JAG (Joint Advisory Group) assessor, Nurse Faculty on the JAG approved courses, accredited Bowel Screening Colonoscopist and an associate lecturer at the University of East Anglia School of Nursing.
The gastro department is home to a team of specialist doctors and nurses. Please find below profiles of consultants/nurses within the department.
- Prof Alastair Watson (Service Director, Prof of Translational Medicine, UEA) – IBD
- Dr Ian Beales (UEA Reader) – dyspepsia, medical education, clinical trials, acid-peptic disorders, IBD
- Dr Bernard Brett – IBD, ERCP, Bowel Cancer Screening Luminal Gasteroenterology and Medical Management (currently Deputy MD)
- Dr Anups Desilva – IBD lead, Bowel Cancer Screening, therapeutic endoscopy and Medical Education
Secretaries: Sara Stickland and Megan Little
Contact Numbers: 01603 641195 and 01603 288864
- Dr Neil Bowron (Nutrition, Intestinal Failure, Mediviewer link person)
- Dr Charlotte Pither – Lead consultant in Nutrition
- Dr Sarah Hyde
Secretaries: Emma Beck, Sharon Davies and Isabel Hornagold
Contact Numbers: 01603 641189 and 01603 288345
- Dr Andrew Douds (IBD, Clinical Governance Lead, Endoscopy Academy)
- Dr Alvin Ochieng (IBD, Capsule endoscopy lead, Faecal Transplant)
- Dr Crawford Jamieson
Secretaries: Laura McEwan, Lynn Rodford, Melanie Theakston
Contact Numbers: 01603 288534, 01603 641186
- Dr Martin Phillips – hepatology, ERCP, therapeutic endoscopy
- Dr Arun Shankar – Service Director
- Dr Charelle Manning
- Dr Nimzing Ladep (Hepatologist, IT lead, Deputy Audit Lead)
Secretaries: Lesley Sarstedt, Micah Ramos, Tashtia Tanjina, Jessica Blick
Contact Numbers: 01603 288356 and 01603 641194
- Dr Simon Rushbrook – hepatology, PSC genetics, endoscopic ultrasound, ERCP, hepatobiliary medicine and liver transplantation
- Dr Marianna Mela
- Dr Syed Alam – hepatology, transplant medicine, endoscopy
- Dr Carl Hammond (Hepatologist, Liver transplant, HCC)
Secretaries: Jane Markland, Alisha Stewart, Michal Woodsmith, Charlotte Richardson
Contact Numbers: 01603 288143, 01603 641193
- Dr Richard Tighe – screening colonoscopy, endoscopy training, therapeutic endoscopy, IBD, ERCP
Secretary: Rachel Lane
Contact Numbers: 01603 641188
- Dr Mark Tremelling – IBD genetics, diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy
- Dr Leo Alexandre
- Dr Simon Chan – IBD epidemiology, clinical IBD, diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy
Secretaries: Kim Clapham, Amy Garner, Kerry Girdlestone
Contact Numbers: 01603 288358 and 01603 64119
Liver Nurse Secretaries
Secretaries: Juliette Smith, Wendy Durrant, Rachael Brown, Suzanne Rickenback, Lisa Spencer
Contact Numbers: 01603 641186, 01603 288367
Nutrition Nurse Secretary
Secretaries: Donna Cruz
Contact Number: 01603 287159
Hep C Administrator
Contact Number: 01603 289244
IBD nurse Secretaries
Secretaries: Jemma Rose, Ellie Garwood, Laura Blakely
Contact Numbers: 01603 288863
A number of surgeons with expertise in gastroenterology also work within the department.