Open Day and Fete – 11 June
You are invited to our Hospital Foundation Day celebrating 250 years of caring
11am – 3pm on Saturday 11 June 2022
Discover how our hospital saw its first patients in 1772 and how we have changed over time serving Norfolk communities for 250 years. This is a major milestone which will be celebrated throughout 2022 with our local community.
There is no need to book for this event, just turn up at a time to suit you and your family.
There are lots of free activities and there will be no charge for parking in the hospital car park (charges still apply in the public car park). Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
You can download a PDF file of the activities by going to our newsletter:
Take a tour of the following departments:
- Big C Centre
- National Centre for Interventional Radiology
- Eye Clinic
- Cardiology Cath Lab
Sign up outside the Charity Hub, East Atrium, Level 2 to book your place on the above tours.
- See how the gut works and meet the “inflatable emoji poo”!
- Take part in the “Digestiball” game.
- Try your hand at scoping on our endoscopy simulator
- See how we treat heart conditions with the cardiology team & watch the “Miracle Magnets” video of our new new scanning equipment
- Find out how the virtual ward monitors patients at home
- Discover how we are leading the way with anti-spiking of alcoholic drinks
- Learn how you can participate in research and take part in a free competition to win a hamper of local produce
- Take part in our Dementia awareness quiz
- Get crafty & help create memory bunting
- Contribute to our living well with Dementia flower.
- See the activities we use with patients and the ID scheme “This is Me” booklets
- Look down the microscope, see blood cells seen in conditions like iron deficiency, anaemia, blood cancer (leukaemia) and malaria parasites.
- Have a go at manual coagulation to see how the body stops us bleeding when we cut ourselves.
- Discover how we use blood packs for patients who need a blood transfusion.
- Try your hand at key-hole surgery using our simulator
- Discover how we treat different eye conditions and how to keep our eyes healthy
- Discover the role of your Council of Governors
- Meet the Patient advice & Liaison Service Team
- Find out how the Patient Panel & Experience work to improve patient experience
- Learn more about the role of Macmillan Cancer
- Discover how the NNUH Nurses League keeps the history of nursing in Norwich alive
- Discover work of the NHS Retirement Fellowship in meeting up with past NHS colleagues and old work friends
- Find out about apprenticeships and health service careers
- Meet the Professional Nurse Advocates
- Walk along our history wall & visit our Chapel for display of artifacts & nurses uniforms
- Discover the work of the Edith Cavell Association
- Take part in traditional fete games
- Browse wide variety of stalls including cakes, sweets & plants
- Say hello to the therapy dogs
- Find out how you can become an Organ Donor
- Visit the display of vintage vehicles
- Walk through the Big C’s Big Bum Inflatable Experience
- Blood Bikes, Fire Engine & Dad’s Army display
- Enjoy live music & BBQ
Please note: Some activities may change on the day. Pet dogs must be kept outside and on a lead.
Recruitment at the open day and fete
Our recruitment team are excited to meet you at the NNUH Fete where we celebrate 250 years of providing healthcare to our community. The team will be on hand to talk to you about joining our nursing teams on the wards from Apprentice to Health Care Assistant (HCA) posts and more. They can explain how you develop your skills in health care and progress your career further if you wish. They will be joined by clinical colleagues who can tell what it’s like to work here first hand!
We are also offering interviews for Health Care Assistants on Saturday, if you would be interested either contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01603 287578 and ask for Jo Self, or come and see us level 2 East outside the Benjamin Gooch lecture Theatre, just off the main concourse, ask for directions when you arrive! If you’d like to hear more about what a Health Care Assistant does during their working day before you come along, take a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6W-HYJwC04