Diabetes team praised in national report
The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital Diabetes in Pregnancy Team has been featured in a new report charting improvements in diabetes care in England published by the Department of Health (DH).
The Way Ahead: The Local Challenge looks at services four years on from the Diabetes National Service Framework (NSF) Delivery Strategy,using local examples as case studies.
Dr Sue Roberts, National Clinical Director for Diabetes, said: The work being done in Norwich shows that there is a great deal of good work going on for people with diabetes. We still have a long way to go before the NSF standards are met nationwide, but the way is being led by brilliant pieces of work like this.”
The report from Dr Roberts for the Secretary of State for Health looks at each of the NSF standards in turn and contains specific data on how they are being met. Packed with case studies, graphs and information, the report covers:
- Preventing and identifying diabetes
- Empowering people with diabetes
- Clinical care for adults with diabetes
- Clinical care of children and young people with diabetes
- Managing diabetic emergencies and care of people with diabetes in hospital
- Diabetes and pregnancy
- Detection and management of long-term complications
The report was launched on March 8 and can be downloaded at: http://www.diabetes.nhs.uk/downloads/the_way_ahead_the_local_challenge.pdf