We understand this is a really worrying time for patients, families and all those affected by cancer and particularly during the coronavirus pandemic. Our Trust and clinical teams wish to provide you with assurance that, despite this fast-changing situation, we are here to support you as best we can during this difficult time.
In light of the developments, we have had to work a little bit differently to allow us to keep you as safe as we possibly can. Your safety is our priority.
Coming to the hospital
When you attend a clinic or treatment appointment you will be asked about Covid 19 symptoms on a checklist. This is quite normal practice and everyone attending will be asked the same questions. This is to keep both you and the staff safe
Please attend your appointment wearing a mask or face covering. The Hospital will provide you with one if you do not have one.
Please do not attend your appointment or the hospital if you have a raised temperature, new cough or taste changes. Please contact the reception team to inform them.
Our Trust has reduced the volume of patients attending the hospital in person for clinic reviews. Your clinical teams have carefully considered all those that could be reviewed via the telephone. This is to reduce the risk of you catching the virus and allow you to socially distance for as long as possible.
For those patients who have been asked to attend the clinic in person please attend on your own if possible. If you need a relative or carer with you please contact the reception staff before your Appointment to discuss
Clinical Nurse Teams
Our clinical nurse specialist teams are continuing to provide support to you and your families and can still be contacted via their usual contact numbers. Our clinical nurse specialists are available during the hours of 8am – 4pm, Monday to Friday. If there is no answer, please leave a message and they will return your call but please be aware this may not always be on the same day. Where ever possible direct your call to the correct appointment e.g contact the Consultant secretary for clinic appointments or CT scan dates
Your clinical teams have been assessing every one of you on treatment and have carefully considered the benefits of your treatment against the risk of the virus and the impact that would have on you.
We are continuing to deliver as much chemotherapy/immunotherapy as possible For some patients the clinical team may take the decision, with you, to delay your treatment
Our surgical teams have been working to ensure all patients are considered under the guidance we have been given by the Government.
Your clinical team will discuss with you the best route of treatment, including in some cases, delaying surgery and receiving radiotherapy or chemotherapy first
If you are undergoing cancer treatment, or you are caring for someone who is
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, or if not immediately available use an alcohol-based hand rub. It is especially important to wash your hands before eating or drinking.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces (mobile phone, tables, light switches, door handles, sinks, toilets, any eating surfaces).
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth as this can transfer the virus from surfaces
- If you take prescription or over-the-counter medication, make sure you have enough at home or in a place that you are able to access
- Avoid contact with those who are sick or unwell or have been exposed to the virus or may be at higher risk due to recent travel to a high-risk country.
- Avoid crowds and crowded areas and avoid unnecessary physical contact, such as shaking hands, hugging or kissing. This is especially important if you are currently having chemotherapy.
Please see the following link
on social distancing and for vulnerable people
Where can I get additional support?
Macmillan – https://www.macmillan.org.uk
0808 808 00 00 7 days a week, 8am-8pm
The Big C – http://www.big-c.co.uk
Call our free telephone support line 0800 092 7640 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm).
Email us at email@example.com
Chat with us on ‘Live Chat’ from 10am-4pm, Monday to Friday.