Name and PositionProfessor Alastair Watson MD; FRCP (Lond) DipABRSM
Gastroenterology & General Medicine
Contact DetailsMain Telephone Number:01603 641195
Department page: Gastroenterology
Secretary: Sara Stickland
GMC Number: 2655457
Professor Watson studied medicine at the Universities of Cambridge (Corpus Christi College) and London (St Thomas’ Hospital) and qualified in 1980 and after junior posts in London, Edinburgh and Stoke on Trent Professor Watson became medical registrar in the King’s Liver Unit with Roger Williams.
- 1985 – became a research fellow with Michael Farthing in St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London.
- 1989 – obtained a Medical Doctorate on the absorption of short chain fatty acids.
- 1988-90 – became a post-doctoral fellow with Mark Donowitz at Johns Hopkins Medical School
- 1990 – won a Senior Research Fellow Award from the American Gastroenterology Association and an award for outstanding accomplishment in Postdoctoral Research from the American Physiological Society.
- 1991 – returned to the University of Manchester to work with Lord Turnberg on apoptosis in the GI epithelium.
- 1992 – awarded The Sir Francis Avery Jones British Society of Gastroenterology Research Medal.
- 1998 – appointed as Professor of Medicine at the University of Liverpool.
- 2003-04 – Associate Editor of GUT, then its Deputy Editor (2005 – 2007).
- 2010 – appointed by the University of East Anglia as its first professor of Translational medicine.
Professor Watson currently serves on the Council of the British Society of Gastroenterology, having been appointed in 2010 as its first Secretary of International Affairs. He is also an Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist at the Norfolk and Norwich University Foundation Trust specialising in diseases of the bowel.