COVID-19 and Rheumatology Referrals
In common with most other specialties, we are changing the way we work over the next few months and in particular who we see in outpatient clinics.
The elderly, the immunocompromised, those with IHD, men and smokers appear to be at greater risk of infection with Covid-19 and these demographics are highly pertinent to our vascular patients. Elective surgery is being greatly curtailed
We therefore plan to restrict outpatients to urgent referrals.
- GCA – speak to the on call team
- Hot swollen joints – speak to the on call team
- Vasculitis – speak to the on call team
- Acute polyarthritis – refer urgently to OPA
- New connective tissue disease – refer urgently to OPA
Conditions that will be deferred include
• Back pain
• Suspected fibromyalgia