Contact Lens Charges
There is a charge for contact lenses supplied by hospital eye clinics. This charge is the same for any eye clinic across the country and is set by the Department of Health each year. The current charges are as follows:
£57.00 per lens
£114.00 per pair
Current NHS charge for soft disposable contact lenses
£57.00 for 6 months supply (per eye) plus £3.50 postage where applicable.
Spare or replacement contact lenses
Spare lenses or replacements for lost or broken/damaged lenses will be charged as detailed above. There are no exemptions form charges for spare lenses or lenses which have been lost or broken/damaged.
Patients in the following categories are exempt from contact lens charges:
1. Afocal bandage or non-sighted prosthetic/occlusive lenses
2. Children under 16, or over 16 but under 19 in full time education
3. Patients requiring a clinical change in contact lens where a payment has been made within the last year
4. Patients who receive (or whose partner receives) one of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Universal credit
- Employment & support allowance (income based)
- Job seekers allowance (income based)
- Pension credit (but only those receiving the guarantee credit element)
5. Named on a valid HC2 certificate
6. Entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
Valid proof of eligibility will be required at the time of ordering
Payment & non-payment
Invoices will be sent out shortly after lens supply/collection along with payment information. In the event of non-payment, no further lenses will be supplied (including replacements required for clinical reasons as per exemption category 3 above).
‘But there is a problem with my contact lens…’
As we deal mainly with complex cases, we often need to order a new lens for clinical reasons (as opposed to replacing lost/damaged lenses). Providing payment is received for the initial lens or lenses, additional lenses required for clinical reasons are supplied at no additional cost for a period of up to 1 year from the initial order.
|Monday||09:00 – 15:00|
|Tuesday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Wednesday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Thursday||09:00 – 17:00|
|Friday||09:00 – 12:30|
For a map showing the location of the car parks at the NNUH, please click here