How do I get to see a Dietitian?

If you need specific dietary advice then you can be referred to our department by your healthcare professional e.g Doctor, Nurse, Speech & Language Therapist.

For general dietary advice, please access our Patient Information Leaflets.

What should I expect when I see a Dietitian?

The Dietitian will provide a professional, non-judgemental consultation regarding your diet. They will assess your current diet, your weight and height and make practical recommendations to you about your diet in order to improve your health.

What is the difference between a Dietitian and a Nutritionist?

Dietetics is the interpretation and communication of the science of nutrition to enable people to make informed and practical choices about food and lifestyle, in both health and disease. A dietitian will have trained in both hospital and community settings as part of their course. Most dietitians are employed in the NHS, but dietitians also work in the food industry, education, research and on a freelance basis. It is necessary to have a Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) recognised degree in nutrition and dietetics to work as a dietitian and to be registered with the HCPC if working as a dietitian. The title dietitian is protected by law, anyone using the title must be registered with the HCPC.
Nutrition is the study of nutrients in food, how nutrients are used by the body, and the relationship between diet, health and disease. Most of the major food manufacturers and retailers employ nutritionists and food scientists but opportunities also arise in journalism, research and education. There are a variety of careers within the field of food science and technology. Many nutritionists hold a nutrition degree and are on the UK Voluntary Register of Nutritionists, but this is not a mandatory register.

For more information please click here.

How do I become a Dietitian?

To qualify as a dietitian you are required to undertake an approved programme at a university. All dietetic programmes are approved by the Health and Care Professional Council (HCPC) and may also apply for accreditation by The British Dietetic Association (BDA). Accreditation is a robust process providing assurance to the profession, students and the public that universities meet the standards of the professional body, the BDA.

For more information please visit the BDA website here.