Social Services

When leaving hospital, you may need the help of Adult Social Services.

With your consent, hospital staff will contact the Hospital Social Work Department so that a team of Nurses, Doctors, therapists and Social Care Professionals can speak with you and anybody else you would like to be present.
The members of the team will discuss your needs and options with you, involving your family, carer and representative if you wish.

The assessment will consider how best to help you:
• Return home to live independently, with support services such as home care or specialist equipment if necessary
• Arrange alternate accommodation and care options if you are eligible

We aim for your stay in hospital to only be as long as is clinically necessary. A plan will be put in place as soon as possible to avoid you staying in once you are well enough to return home or to other accommodation.

It may take some time for your care, equipment or adaptation of your home to be arranged. It will not always be possible to wait in hospital until these services have been arranged, so you may have to move to alternative accommodation while you wait – usually a nursing or residential home.

If it is the case that you need time to adjust and recover after an illness, a temporary stay in accommodation with 24 hour care can be arranged until you are able to return home or you make a decision on what care you need.

Any charges for care will be explained to you by your Social Worker.

For more information visit the Norfolk County Council website