Get the right treatment


Self Care

A well stocked medicine cabinet will help you treat many everyday illnesses at home (See Medicine chest).


Pharmacists (sometimes called Chemists) can offer advice on medicines and how to take them. They can also offer advice on common complaints such as coughs, colds, aches and pains, and other health issues, such as healthy eating and giving up smoking. You can talk to your pharmacists in confidence – even about the most personal symptoms. Most pharmacies now have quiet area away from other customers where you can speak to the pharmacist more privately.

111 service

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don’t know who to call or you don’t have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

You can contact the service by dialing 111. NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.

Your GP surgery

Your local GP surgery provides range of services including:

  • general medical advice and treatment;
  • prescriptions;
  • referral to specialist or hospital;
  • immunisations; and
  • tests.

Out of normal surgery hours, all GPs have an emergency service. This service is only for urgent medical problems that cannot wait to be treated until normal surgery hours. However, if you are still not sure about the best way to deal with your symptoms, NHS 111 can advise you on what to do.

Norwich Walk-in Centre

Norwich has a GP-led Health Centre that offers  walk-in, fast and convenient access to healthcare advice and treatment for minor injuries and illnesses. The Norwich Walk-in Centre is open from 08:00 until 20:00, 7 days a week, and you do not need an appointment.

  • No need to register and free of charge
    • Open 365 days a year
    • Extra health services on site including blood testing

Norwich Walk-in Centre:  Rouen House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RB

Open 8am–8pm, seven-days-a-week, 365 days a year.
Phone:  01603 677500 

For more information, go to:


Accident and Emergency/999

When it comes to your health or the health of someone in your family, it is often very obvious if the person is seriously ill and needs emergency care. You should get medical attention by either taking the patient to Accident and Emergency (A&E) or by phoning 999 for an emergency ambulance (See What is an Emergency?).