Trauma Services

Traumatic injuries can occur after an accident such as a fall or road traffic accident. To best care for people who have experienced traumatic injuries in the best way possible, the East of England has one dedicated Major Trauma Centre to treat more serious injuries. This is based at Cambridge University Hospital. Less serious injuries can be treated here at NNUH. Cambridge University Hospital and NNUH are part of the East of England Trauma Network.

More information about the Network can be found here: East of England Trauma Network NHS 

We’re currently a Trauma Unit which means that if you have injuries because of trauma, you will be sent to our Emergency Department for assessment and care.

If you have experienced more serious injuries, and if you are stable, you may be transferred to Addenbrooke’s hospital, for further treatment or surgery and return to us once your treatment there is complete.



Once you’re stable you will leave ED and be moved to a ward which specialises in the type of injury you have. The ward might be a surgical ward if you have had surgery or a spinal ward if you have had an injury to your back (spinal cord).

It is difficult to state how long you will remain on the ward as this will vary depending on how severe your injuries are and whether you are waiting for a bed in a rehabilitation unit. You will be updated by members of the trauma team and the ward about your discharge plan on a regular basis.



Your rehabilitation and recovery will begin as soon as possible, once you are on a ward. Depending on your injuries and needs you will be seen by the following people who can help you:

  • Physiotherapist: they can help you to maintain muscle strength and movement and can help with your breathing.
  • Occupational Therapist: they can help you to work towards doing your usual activities with the help of aids or adaptations if needed.
  • Speech and Language Therapist: they can help you with communication, swallowing and tracheostomy care.
  • Dietitian: they can help you if you need a feeding tube or need extra support with your nutrition.

Your rehabilitation team will talk to you about where is best for you to go once you’re ready to be discharged. It might not be possible for you to return straight home as you may need to have more rehabilitation in another place first. Some of the options for discharge are:

  • Home, with or without rehabilitation in the community
  • A rehabilitation ward or hospital/unit where you stay overnight
  • A care home where you can be looked after either for a short time while you recover, or for a longer time

There may be other options, but the trauma and rehabilitation team will always discuss the options with you or your family.


Trauma Team

In addition to the therapists and nurses you’ll see, you will also meet the following people:

  • Trauma Co-ordinator: responsible for overseeing and co-ordinating the care you are getting from lots of different people
  • Trauma Rehabilitation Co-ordinator: responsible for overseeing your rehabilitation and referrals for more therapy after discharge if you need it.

Both co-ordinators will be your key contacts during your time at hospital. You will receive information on how to contact them when they see you for the first time.

You can contact the Trauma Coordinator Team via email on



Trauma East Voices is a patient experience group which meets a few times a year to hear about your experience of the East of England Trauma Network (your experience of being at Cambridge University Hospital and/or here).


Further information