Name and PositionDr Vass Vassiliou
Contact DetailsMain Telephone Number:01603 288875
Department page: Cardiology
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Cardiovascular Medicine and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist.
Secretary: Teresa Clayton
Subspecialty: Cardiac Imaging and Heart Failure
Special clinical interests: Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, Valve disease, Atrial Fibrillation in stroke patients. I run a specialist valve clinic at NNUH, report Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging and support the team with academic input.
Research interests: I am an academic cardiologist with a major research interest in valve disease, heart failure, coronary artery disease and atrial fibrillation. My current research focuses on the predictive role of imaging in valvular disease, atrial fibrillation in cryptogenic stroke, the role of novel therapies in heart failure energetics and outcomes in relation to the type of percutaneous intervention undertaken. I work closely with the UK Biobank for epidemiological studies and with a European network on the protective role of physical activity in coronary heart disease. I currently supervise one post-doctoral and four doctoral students.
GMC Number: 6053167
- MBBS, University College London
- MA (Medical Education), University of Bedford
- PhD, Imperial College London
Membership to National Bodies
- FRCP, Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh
- FHEA, Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Cardiac Society
- Member of the British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- Member of the British Heart Valve Society
- Member of the British Society of Cardiac Imaging
Membership to International Bodies
- FESC, Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- FSCMR, Fellow of the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
- FACC, Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Chair-Elect, Population Sciences and Public Health, European Association of Cardiac Prevention, European Society of Cardiology
Professional profile: I am a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of East Anglia and an Honorary Consultant Cardiologist at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich. I studied medicine at UCL, London and did my postgraduate training initially in internal medicine and then in cardiology in Cambridge (Addenbrooke’s and Royal Papworth Hospital), Norwich and then London (UCLH and the Royal Brompton Hospital). I have received level 3 accreditation from both the Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and the European Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance.
I hold a Master’s Degree in Medical Education from the University of Bedford and a PhD in Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance tissue characterisation in valve disease from Imperial College London. My research interests are both clinical and basic science focusing on valvular heart disease, arrhythmia, heart failure and cardiac imaging. I also have an interest in epidemiological research, and I am a member of the nucleus committee and Chair-Elect of the Population Sciences and Public Health Section of the European Society of Preventive Cardiology.