Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Babies may be in intensive care, high dependency or the special care areas of the unit. Our unit receives babies from across the region and further afield and our NICU staff care for more than 850 babies a year.
This is the Family Guide for anyone coming on to NICU
Facilities for parents
A parents/visitors’ sitting room is available for your use where tea and coffee making facilities are available and we also have five bedrooms attached to the unit for parents. Please be aware that priority for those rooms is given to parents whose babies are critically ill.
We do encourage you to stay with your baby prior to going home. Unfortunately if you are staying in the unit we are not able to accommodate brothers or sisters to stay the night.
We do offer parents a discount in the hospital restaurant for those staying in the parents’ rooms. Please ask staff on the unit for a dining pass.
We can also offer parents discounted parking. Please ask at the NICU reception for a car park pass.
- When you come into the unit please use the cloakroom for your coats.
- Please wash your hands on entering the unit, prior to handling your baby and after handling your baby.
- Please do not leave any valuables unattended on the unit.
- Lockers are available in the cloakroom and keys can be provided, or you can bring your own padlock.
- Please use a cot to move your baby around the unit rather than carrying baby.
- Please keep all hot drinks in our parents sitting room.
- Please bring your head phones with you to use with your mobile phone to enable you to be able to stay with your baby during ward rounds.
- Babies’ brothers and sisters are welcome and can use our playroom but please don’t leave them unattended and please clear away the toys afterwards.
- To get into the unit, please ring the doorbell and be patient if staff are busy. Never let anyone you do not know into NICU.
- You are welcome to take photographs and videos of your baby but please do not photograph or video other babies on the Unit.
- Helium balloons and flowers are not allowed on the unit.
Facebook Group – Norfolk and Norwich NICU
There is a group on Facebook created by people who have had babies on the NNUH NICU and a Norfolk BLISS group.
You can support NICU in its development. Donations can be made online here http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com
Or you can send a cheque payable to the NNUH NHS Foundation Trust Charitable Fund, with “NICU” written on the back of the cheque and send it to Fundraising, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich, NR4 7UY.
How to contact the ward
How to Find Us
The ward is located on Level 3 in the West Block
Please use the West Outpatients entrance/s and follow the signs to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
If you are coming by car and need to park, the closest car park/s are C, D.
If the car park is full, further spaces may be available in the new 310-space public car park opposite A&E. Please note this car park is operated independently to the hospital car parks. For further information click here.
For a map showing the location of the car parks at the NNUH, please click here
For details about how to find us, how to get here and information about accessibility (including images), please click on the icon below: