Meet the Team
The Nurse Endoscopy team
We are a team of 13 Nurse Endoscopists performing diagnostic endoscopy, Bowel Cancer Screening, Capsule Endoscopy, and two week wait Rectal Bleed clinics.
Currently we undertake approx 50% of the diagnostic lists at the Quadram Institute. and cover Bowelscope Screening Lists at the James Paget University Hospital and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
We have two nurse endoscopists whose key role is as Specialist Screening Practitioners in the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme but whose job plan allows them to support the Bowelscope Programme.
Nearly every diagnostic list performed by the four senior nurse endoscopists is a training list, with Registrars/Nurses in training allocated lists, they have all undertaken Train the Trainer in Endoscopy teaching.
Sarah El-Salamani is an Associate on the Health Education England non clinical endoscopist Training Programme and also teaching faculty at St Thomas’s hospital.
Jane Cook is a JAG (Joint Advisory Group) assessor, Nurse Faculty on the JAG approved courses, accredited Bowel Screening Colonoscopist and an associate lecturer at the University of East Anglia School of Nursing.
The gastro department is home to a team of specialist doctors and nurses. Please find below profiles of consultants within the department.
- Prof Alastair Watson (Service Director, Prof of Translational Medicine, UEA) – IBD
- Dr Syed Alam – hepatology, transplant medicine, endoscopy
- Dr Ian Beales (UEA Reader) – dyspepsia, medical education, clinical trials, acid-peptic disorders, IBD
- Dr Bernard Brett – IBD, ERCP, Bowel Cancer Screening Luminal Gasteroenterology and Medical Management (currently Deputy MD)
- Dr Simon Chan – IBD epidemiology, clinical IBD, diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy
- Dr Anups Desilva – IBD lead, Bowel Cancer Screening, therapeutic endoscopy and Medical Education
- Dr Helen Fellows – capsule endoscopy, medical education, luminal GI and hepatology disease
- Prof Alastair Forbes (Prof of Gastroenterology, UEA) – clinical nutrition
- Prof Andrew Hart (Prof of Gastroenterology, UEA) – epidemiology of GI disease, medical education
- Dr Ismail – Nutrition consultant and PEG/enteral lead for the Trust
- Dr Hugh Kennedy – IBD, endoscopy, screening colonoscopy
- Dr Satish Mogan – ERCP/ EUS and advanced endoscopy and hepatobiliary disorders
- Dr Charlotte Pither – Lead consultant in Nutrition
- Dr Martin Phillips – hepatology, ERCP, therapeutic endoscopy
- Dr Alison Prior – IBS, IBD, colonoscopy
- Dr Simon Rushbrook – hepatology, PSC genetics, endoscopic ultrasound, ERCP, hepatobiliary medicine and liver transplantation
- Dr Arun Shankar – Hepatology, Alcohol services, NAFLD and Training Programme director for the East of England
- Dr Richard Tighe – screening colonoscopy, endoscopy training, therapeutic endoscopy, IBD, ERCP
- Dr Mark Tremelling – IBD genetics, diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy
A number of surgeons with expertise in gastroenterology also work within the department.