The Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital offers a comprehensive Oncology service for children with cancer and their families. The service operates within the East of England Children’s Network as a shared care centre with Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge. The Paediatric Oncology service based in Norwich is the largest shared care centre in the region. In addition to providing high quality anti-cancer treatments (Chemotherapy), full holistic supportive care for medical, emotional and psychological needs is also provided and recognised as equally important to the child and family’s wellbeing. Additionally, the team work closely with the East Anglia’s Children’s Hospice at The Nook, thereby providing a seamless service for our patient population. Paediatric Palliative Care is also provided in conjunction with the Symptom Management Team of Nurses based at East Anglia’s Children’s Hospice (EACH). The latter service is provided on a 24/7 basis when the child’s needs require it and can be provided in the community, hospice or hospital.
If you have recently been told that your child has or is suspected of having cancer, you may already have had the opportunity to meet some of the people involved in their care. These health professionals work within a team which is called a specialist Multidisciplinary Team (MDT) which is based at the NNUH. The members of the Paediatric Oncology MDT are experts at treating and managing childhood cancer. They are involved with investigations, diagnosis and ongoing treatment. The team also monitor the later effects of childhood cancer treatment so children with a diagnosis of cancer, will continue to be monitored until their 16th birthday, following which, care will be transitioned to the Teenage and Young Adult services. The MDT holds weekly meetings to discuss all patients currently undergoing active treatment and once a month the MDT is video-linked with Addenbrookes Hospital.
- Wednesday’s (weekly) Paediatric Oncology MDT treatment clinic 2-6pm
- Tuesday’s (4th week) off treatment Haematology Clinic 1-4pm Dr Jo Ponnampalam
- Tuesday’s (2nd week) off treatment Solid Tumour Clinic 1-4pm Dr Jo Ponnampalam
- Tuesday’s (3rd week) Non-malignant Haematology Clinic 1-4pm Dr Jo Ponnampalam/Dr Lyall
Visiting Consultant Outreach Clinics:
Please note – due to Covid-19 we are currently running our visitor Consultant outreach clinics remotely for the foreseeable future.
- Dr James Nicholson (Paediatric Oncologist Addenbrookes Hospital) – every quarter
- Dr Michael Gattens (Paediatric Haematologist Addenbrookes Hospital) – every quarter
- Dr Anne Yardumian (Haemoglobinopathy Haematologist, North Middlesex Hospital, London) – twice per year
For more information on our children’s services visit the Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital website.
Leukaemias (commonest form of childhood cancer) and Lymphomas, plus a range of solid tumours, most commonly brain tumours.
Research is an active component of the Paediatric Department. Many childhood cancer treatments are based on National trials and our Consultant who delivers the childhood cancer service in Norwich is a Local Collaborator to the National Leukaemia Trial.
An off treatment service is also provided and children who have received treatment for childhood cancer are continued to be monitored when treatment has completed.
The Jenny Lind Children’s Hospital also treats children with less common blood conditions including Sickle Cell Disease, in conjunction with Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge and the North Middlesex Hospital in London.
|Consultant Paediatricians||Clinical Nurse Specialists
|To contact the Clinical Nurse Specialists, please call 01603 287852|
|Consultant Haematologists||MDT Coordinator
|To contact the MDT coordinator, please call 01603 287 622|
|CLIC Sargent Social Worker
|Clinical Paediatric Psychologist
|To contact the Paediatric Psychologist, please call 01603 287 545
To contact the Paediatric Dietician, please call 01603 287011
Patient Support Services
- CLIC Sargent
- Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group
- Macmillan Benefits Advice ServiceLocal advisors who can give support and information regarding money worries.
- Big C Cancer Charity Support and Information CentreThe Big C offers many complimentary therapies, financial and emotional support, and support groups for people affected by all types of cancer.