Head and Neck
Head and Neck cancers are cancers of the mouth, throat and voice box as well as other rarer cancers in the head and neck region. Head and Neck cancer is the 8th most common cancer in the UK.
The most common symptoms are:
- A lump, swelling or sore in the mouth that does not heal within 3 weeks.
- Persistent sore throat, pain on swallowing or changes in voice.
- A lump on the neck.
- Blocked nose and/or bloody discharge from the nose.
Although these are not exclusive, if you have any concerns please contact your GP.
The team is made up of different specialities who work together specifically treating Head and Neck cancers. The team includes Surgeons, Oncologists, Specialists Nurses, Speech and Language Therapists, Dietitians and Physiotherapists. Referral into the service usually comes from the ENT or the Oral Health department. We are the central hub for all of those diagnosed with Head and Neck cancers in the region.
Our clinic sees patients from James Paget, Ipswich and the Queen Elizabeth Hospitals. Weekly MDT (multi-disciplinary team) meetings are followed by a clinic on a Wednesday afternoon. These clinics are held in the Oral Health department at the NNUH.
At diagnosis you will be provided with contact details for your Specialist Nursing team. This team is a key point of contact during your treatments. The team have developed a support group called HANC for patients, families and friends, please ask for further details.
Head and Neck cancers include cancers of the mouth, throat and voice box, as well as rarer cancers which can occur in the nose, sinuses and middle ear. Thyroid cancer care is under a different team.
Treatments for these types of cancer include Surgery, Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy.
|Consultant ENT Surgeons||Consultant Oral Surgeons|
|Mr Ramez Nassif||Mr Richard James|
|Andres Hilger (Ipswich)||Mr Richard Sisson|
|Stuart Burrows||Jim Fong (Ipswich)|
|Consultant Plastic Surgeons||Consultant Oncologists|
|Mr Jon Clibbon||Dr Tom Roques|
|Mr Martin Heaton||Dr Christopher Scrase (Ipswich)|
|Miss Monica Fawzy||Dr Dinos Geropantas|
|Mr Vish Narayanan (Ipswich)||Dr Lakshmi Harihar|
|Cancer Nurse Specialist||Consultant Histopathologists|
|Astra Rutherford-Hall||Dr Katherine Sisson|
|Sarah Thirkettle||Dr Ray Lonsdale|
|If you need to contact your Clinical Nurse Specialist, please call 01603 288198/287581|
|Consultant Radiologists||MDT Coordinator|
|Dr Paddy Wilson||Linda Morris|
|Dr Davina Pawaroo||Sandy Winters|
|If you need to contact our MDT coordinator, please call 01603 286757|
Thyroid Cancer Help and Support
For help and support regarding Thyroid cancer, please contact Ingrid Haupt-Schott on 02920 615888 (ext. 6308)
Patient Support Services
- Big C Cancer Charity Support and Information CentreThe Big C offers many complimentary therapies, financial and emotional support, and support groups for people affected by all types of cancer.
- Macmillan Benefits Advice ServiceLocal advisors who can give support and information regarding money worries.
- Macmillan Cancer Support Head and Neck Cancer
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- British Orthodontic Society
- East of England Cleft Network