Gynaecological cancers are those which start in a woman’s reproductive system or female genital tract.
If you have recently been told you have or are suspected of having a cancer of the female genital tract you will have already met some of the people involved in your care. Our Gynaecology Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) are experts at treating and managing Gynaecological cancers. They are involved with your investigations, diagnosis and treatment.
Our MDT meets regularly to discuss and plan treatment for patients with Gynaecological cancer who have been diagnosed at the NNUH or the James Paget University Hospital. Treatment can involve Surgery, Radiotherapy and/or Chemotherapy.
Throughout your journey you will be supported by Clinical Nurse Specialists who are sometimes called key workers. These are nurses based in Gynaecology and Oncology, who will help to co-ordinate your care, will provide you with information and support and whom you can contact with questions or concerns. The team of Specialist Nurses also run a support group at the Big C once a month.
The Gynaecological Oncology team provides both diagnostic and specialist care for patients with cancer of the female genital tract including Ovarian, Endometrial, Cervical, Vaginal and Vulva cancers in line with the IOG guidelines.
|Consultant Gynaecological Oncologists
|Surgical Clinical Nurse Specialists
|Mr Jo Nieto
|Mr Tim Duncan
|Mr Nikos Burbos
|Miss Hilary Turnbull
|If you need to contact your Surgical Clinical Nurse Specialist, please call 01603 287742
|Consultant Clinical Oncologist
|Consultant Medical Oncologist
|Dr Robert Wade
|Dr Daniel Epurescu
|Dr Debashis Biswas
|Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist
|Dr Ray Lonsdale
|If you need to contact your Oncology Clinical Nurse Specialist, please call 01603 288115
Patient Support Services
Patient information video
You can find out more about our Gynaecology team and their services by watching the video below.
Macmillan Support & Information Radiographers
- Elaine Broomes (Information and Support Advanced Radiographer)
- Tel 01603 289705(answerphone) & 01603 246749 (direct line with answerphone)
The Palliative Care Support Team
- The Nurses can be accessed at any time from diagnosis onwards. Their role is to provide emotional support to the patient and their family/relatives/carer, advise and manage symptoms.
Other Support Services
- Target Ovarian Cancer Information
- The Eve Appeal
- Shine Cancer Support
- Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust
- Macmillan Cervical Cancer Information
- Macmillan Ovarian Cancer Information
- Macmillan Vaginal Cancer Information
- Macmillan Vulval Cancer Information
- Macmillan Womb Cancer Information
- Macmillan Benefits Advice ServiceLocal advisors who can give support and information regarding money worries.
- Big C Cancer Charity Support and Information CentreThe Big C offers many complimentary therapies, financial and emotional support, and support groups for people affected by all types of cancer.
Below are some useful documents.