There are reception desks at each of the inpatient and outpatient hospital entrances where a member of staff or volunteer will be able to direct you to the area of the hospital you are visiting. They can also look up on the hospital computer system which ward your friend or relative may have been moved to. The reception desks are staffed from Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4pm (East and West Outpatients), 7am – 6pm (East Inpatients) and there is someone on West Inpatients 24 hours a day, every day. Disabled (Blue badge holders) are able to have their car park ticket validated for no charge at these desks during these times.
Meet and Greet Volunteers
Our Meet and Greet volunteers are here to help you find your way around. You can recognise them by their red waistcoats or jackets.
Ward visiting times
See the latest visiting information.
Visitors should wash their hands or use the hand sanitisers provided when entering and leaving the ward.
Protected meal times
To reduce distractions for patients while they’re eating, most wards have protected mealtimes when visitors are not admitted except for in an emergency.
Eating and drinking during illness
It’s not unusual for people to lose their appetite when they’re unwell, but eating and drinking is important in helping to fight infection and speed recovery.
We ensure that our patients are sitting comfortably while they eat, operate a “red tray” system to provide assistance to those who need it and patients with a poor appetite may be offered higher calorie/protein foods.
We offer patients snacks and drinks between meals and you’re welcome to bring them in as well, although please avoid foods that need to be refrigerated or reheated. You’re also welcome to visit the hospital’s restaurants and cafes by arrangement with the nurse in charge.
Good Visiting Guide
You can be a good visitor and help our patients and staff by following these steps:
- To save staff time, have one person contact the ward for updates rather than lots of people asking for the same information.
- No more than two visitors at a patient’s bedside unless agreed with the ward sister or nurses in charge (currently, restrictions apply).
- Limit mobile phone use on wards or keep it on silent to respect other patients who may be resting. Mobile phones can be used in public areas.
- Don’t sit on a patient’s bed, use the chairs provided.
- Use the hand gel available at ward entrances and always wash your hands with hot water and soap after using the toilet.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, flu or stomach bug, please do not visit until you are well as you may pass it on.
- The ward’s bathrooms and toilets are for patients only. There are visitor toilets outside each ward.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere on our premises, including buildings, grounds or vehicles. It is part of a national policy of no smoking in and around any NHS buildings.
Accommodation for relatives
Information about local hotels and guesthouses is available from reception desks on Level 1. Alternatively contact the Norwich Tourist Information Centre on 01603 213999. Their opening times are Mon-Sat 10am-5:30pm.
How to find us
For details about how to find us, how to get here and information about accessibility (including images), please click on the icon below: